The weather will be cooling off in Pensacola soon and you’ll be looking for ways to heat your home. However, did you know that US fire departments respond to around 350,000 house fires every year? A large majority of these fires are caused by cooking and home heating; two things that we really can’t go without. If you’re not sure of the correct safety protocols for heating your home, your investment and your family could be at risk. Prevent house fires by following these home heating safety tips.
- Do not leave a space heater unattended.
- Unplug space heaters before leaving the room or your house.
- Do not go to sleep with a space heater running.
- Connect space heaters directly to wall outlets, NEVER to an extension cord.
- If the heater has a damaged cord or plug, do not use it.
- Ensure there is at least 3 feet of clearance from objects around, especially in front of the space heater.
- Keep space heaters at least 5 feet away from your skin to avoid burns.
- Clean and inspect your chimney before use every season.
- Ensure there is at least 3 feet of clearance from objects around the fireplace.
- Use a screen to block loose embers and sparks from escaping into your home.
- Never ignite fires with flammable liquids.
- Do not leave the fire unattended.
- NEVER use your oven to heat your home.
- Clean the oven before cooking in it.
- If you smell gas coming from the oven, open a window and contact a professional.
- NEVER use your oven for storage.
- NEVER leave burning candles unattended.
- Blow out candles when you leave a room.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
- Keep candles in sturdy candle holders and locations.
- Do not use candles for light or warmth during power outages.
- Professionals should install wood burning stoves following the manufacturer’s installation instructions. They will vent any fuel burning equipment outside to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning and keep plenty of clearance around the stove.
- When installing stationary central heating equipment, have a licensed professional from Shannon’s Heating & Cooling do the work. We’re trained on installation methods for local codes and will ensure your system is installed properly for the comfort of your home and the safety of your family.
- Get a maintenance plan for your HVAC system from Shannon’s. Our maintenance plans include checking your heating system before winter to ensure it will run smoothly throughout the season. Our plans ensure increased efficiency and prolonged system life to save you money.
- If you smell gas in your home, turn off all appliances immediately and evacuate. Call the fire department or your local gas company for the next steps.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. Regularly test your alarms to ensure they’re working properly.
If you have any questions about home heating, contact us! Shannon’s Heating & Cooling is your independently owned American Standard Heating and Air Conditioning dealer serving Pensacola and the surrounding area. You can call us at 850-698-3101 or email us at email@example.com. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram!